You can do your part to help save landfill space, preserve natural resources, and conserve energy by participating. Put your recycling cart in a convenient location and use it every day. Make the recycling life-style a part of your household. Click the Residential Recycling heading below for more.
Recycling Yes and No
Important! Please empty recyclables out of bags and boxes so that they can be easily sorted. Clean paper bags and cardboard boxes are recyclable. Just put them in your recycling cart after you empty them. Plastic bags are accepted but must be put into one bag and tied up inside your recycling cart.
Acceptable Items to place in your recycle cart:
- All California redemption value drink containers
- Clean paper and mail
- Corrugated cardboard
- Cereal boxes (without the liner) / Shoe boxes
- Brown paper bags
- Newspaper and magazines
- Shredded paper in tied clear plastic bags - No confetti
- Paperback books
- Catalogs, phone books
- Milk cartons
- Juice boxes
- Soy milk cartons
- Frozen food boxes
- Plastic bottles, jars and jugs - No caps
- Plastic dairy tubs (yogurt, margarine) - No lids
- All colors of glass jars, bottles and jugs - No lids
- Aluminum foil or foil baking pans
- Aluminum cans
- Steel or tin cans
- All colors of glass jars, bottles and jugs with lids and caps removed.
- Scrap metal (limit 2 ft. x 2 ft., 35 pounds; without wood, plastic, or rubber attachments)
Unacceptable Items to place in your recycle cart:
- Food scraps, food-soiled paper or boxes
- Plastic trays (bakery, meat, etc.)
- Prescription vials
- Paper towels, plates or napkins
- Disposable diapers or rags
- Ceramics or dishes
- Light bulbs
- Mirrors or window glass
- Lids or caps
- Greasy or sharp scrap metal
- Needles or syringes
- Toxic containers (antifreeze, oil, syringes, etc.)
There is no charge for the collection of extra recyclables that do not fit in your recycle cart. Please put in bags and mark Recycle on the bag.
Recycle Carts are free of charge. Please call Customer Service (530) 626 4141 to order an additional Recycle Cart.
Computers and TVs
Computers, laptops, monitors, separated computer circuit boards and televisions contain heavy metals. They cannot be disposed of as garbage and must be recycled.
You can also recycle many other electronic items, including computer peripherals (mouse, keyboard, cables, printer, scanner, speakers, etc.), cell phones, hand-held devices, photocopiers, fax machines, stereos, VCRs, and DVD players.
Motor oil disposal
Motor oil is a serious environmental hazard if not properly collected and recycled.
We accept motor oil from our customers. Contact customer service and we will send you containers. Fill the containers and call to schedule a pick up: El Dorado Disposal Customer Service at (530) 626-4141 or email OLPElDoradoDisposal@WasteConnections.com.
Put used motor oil in securely closed 1-gallon milk jugs and take them to a location equipped to collect and recycle motor oil.